Celebrate the 4th of July Safely and Legally

The Fairview Township Police Department wants to wish everybody a happy and safe Fourth of July. 

Residents should have a firm understanding of which fireworks they are now permitted to possess and use under Pennsylvania's new fireworks law.  Those that wish to read it for themselves may find the text of the law at this link.  Residents 18 years of age and older are now permitted to purchase "Class C" (otherwise known as consumer grade) fireworks.  These include firecrackers, Roman Candles, bottle rockets and similar fireworks that contain a maximum of 50 milligrams of explosive material.  Only professionals with a permit from the municipality where the fireworks are to be displayed may use those products classified as "Display Fireworks" which include salutes that contain more than two grains or 130 milligrams of explosive material as well as professional-grade aerial shells containing more than 60 grams of pyrotechnic compositions.

The Fairview Township Police also urges residents to remember where these newly legalized fireworks may not be used. 

  • They may not be used on any public or private property without the permission of the property owner.  This includes any Fairview Township park.
  • They may not be discharged at or within a motor vehicle or building. 
  • They cannot be discharged within 150 feet of any occupied structure.
  • They cannot be discharged by any person who is under the influence of alcohol, a controlled substance or any other drug.

Additionally, within Fairview Township residents are reminded to be considerate of your neighbors in the time and manner with which fireworks are discharged.  The police department will be enforcing the regulations on fireworks listed above as well as noise ordinance violations for fireworks being set off at an unreasonable hour.

Residents should also be mindful of their pets, including horses and livestock.  There is always a spike in pets running away over the 4th of July holiday because they become startled by fireworks in the area.  For tips to keep your pets safe during this time of year, please see this link from the American Veterinary Medical Association.  If your pet does run away, notify the police department as soon as you can.  You may also check with the York County SPCA at 717-764-6109 during their business hours to see if your pet was picked up and turned over to them.

For some general safety tips for handling fireworks as well as some other popular summer time activities, we encourage you to visit this link from the American Red Cross.