Theft and Burglary
The following tips are intended to help keep you from becoming a victim of theft and burglary.
- Keep all doors and windows closed and securely fastened. An open door or window is an open invitation for burglars. Thieves are also quick to spot weak locks that my easily be forced open. Door should have deadbolt locks with a 1″ throw and reinforced strike plate with 3″ screws. All windows should have window locks.
- Secure sliding glass doors. Place a metal rod or piece of plywood in the track and install vertical bolts. These will help prevent burglars from forcing the door open or lifting it off the track.
- Always lock the door to an attached garage. Don’t rely on your automatic garage door opener for security.
- Create the illusion that you are home by using timers on lights, radios and TVs. Making your residence appear occupied, even when no one is home will deter criminals.
- Keep the perimeter of your home well lighted. Installing low voltage outdoor lighting is a cost-effective way to discourage intruders, as well as highlight a house.
- Never leave clues that you are away on a trip. Have a trusted neighbor collect mail and newspapers while you are away so delivered items do not accumulate. You can also ask a neighbor to park in your driveway or parking place to make it appear that you are present.
- Keep some shades and blinds up and curtains open to maintain a normal everyday appearance in your residence.
- Never leave a message on your telephone answering machine telling people that you are away.
- While large, ornate hedges may be beautiful, they also provide a hiding place for burglars who need only a minute to break in through a door or window.
- Organize a community watch program to protect your neighborhood. An alert community is a safe community.
- Stay vigilant and aware of your surroundings while at home and away.
- Keep your vehicle locked. Almost every theft from a vehicle report we take are from unlocked cars.
- Do not keep valuables like computers, electronics, firearms, and large sums of currency in your vehicle.
- If you see something, say something!!