How can I obtain a copy of my driver’s history?

You may request a three-year, ten-year or full driver’s history by using PennDOT’s Online Services (see helpful links) or by completing a “Request for Driver Information” form (Form DL-503) and submitting it to PennDOT. Certified histories are only available by completing Form DL-503. The form contains detailed instructions and lists fees for different types of driving records.

Why should I stop at the white stop line at a traffic signal?

Most traffic signals operate in part by monitoring traffic position through sensors embedded in the pavement at the intersection. The sensors are placed in conjunction with the white stop lines. Stopping too far behind or too far in front of the white line may result in the sensor not detecting your vehicle. This in turn may result in failing to receive a green signal. The lines also regulate the stopped position of waiting vehicles to provide the necessary turning area required for vehicles turning left through the intersection.

What is the Anti-texting law?

The law prohibits as a primary offense any driver from using an Interactive Wireless Communication Device (IWCD) to send, read or write a text-based communication while his or her vehicle is in motion.

  • An IWCD as a wireless phone, personal digital assistant, smart phone, portable or mobile computer or similar devices that can be used for texting, instant messaging, emailing or browsing the Internet.
  • A text-based communication as a text message, instant message, email or other written communication composed or received on an IWCD.
  • Institutes a $50 fine for convictions under this section.
  • Makes clear that this law supersedes and preempts any local ordinances restricting the use of interactive wireless devices by drivers.

Can I change the color of bulbs in my lights?

Most vehicles come equipped from the manufacturer with bulbs of the type and color which conform to PADOT regulations. Alteration of the type or color of the bulb which does not conform to PADOT regulations is prohibited.

May I take the doors off of my Jeep?

No. Doors must be on a vehicle if originally fitted by the manufacturer.  *The preceding information was obtained from PA Code Title 67 and the PA Vehicle Code. Regulations are subject to change and should be verified before altering or installing after-market equipment on your vehicle. The preceding questions apply to passenger cars and light trucks having a registered gross weight of 11,000 pounds or less.

Can I put wider tires on my car?

A tire’s tread cannot extend beyond the outer edge of the wheel housing inclusive of fender flares. Fender flares cannot exceed 3 inches.