Protection From Abuse

What is abuse?

Under the Protection from Abuse Act of 1976, abuse is defined as any of the following:

1. Attempting to, or intentionally, knowingly or recklessly causing bodily injury, serious bodily injury, rape, spousal sexual assault or involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, with or without a deadly weapon.

2. Placing another in fear of serious bodily injury.

3. False imprisonment as defined under the crimes code, and/or

4. Physically or sexually abusing minor children


Who can file for Protection from Abuse?

You can file for a Protection from Abuse (PFA) order if the person who has or is trying to harm is:

  1. Your spouse or ex-spouse
  2. Your current or former sexual / intimate partner
  3. Your parent or child
  4. Certain other blood relatives

Where can I file for a Protection from Abuse order?

Legal papers can be filed with the Court of Common Pleas at the York County Judicial Center, which is located at 45 N. George Street, York, PA 17401. A lawyer is not required to file papers.

Where can I call with questions?

The phone number for the Protection from Abuse office in York County is: 717-771-9662

Is the application available online?

Yes, please visit this site: PFA Application to complete the application.

Domestic Violence Services in York County

These services are available in every county of Pennsylvania. They have legal advocates who will accompany the abused throughout this process, and also provide additional services for the abused.

ACCESS – York 1-800-262-8444

SAFE HOME (Hanover) 632-0007