Traffic Crashes

1.      When am I required to call the police to report a traffic crash?

 The driver of a vehicle involved in an crash shall immediately by the quickest means of communication give notice to the nearest office of a duly authorized police department if the accident involves:

 (a)    Injury to or death of any person; or

(b)   Damage to any vehicle involved to the extent that it cannot be driven under its own power in its customary manner without further damage or hazard to the vehicle, other traffic elements, or the roadway and therefore requires towing.

(c)    Damage to any unattended vehicle or property where the owner of that property cannot be located or identified.

 In other words, when there is an injury, a death, when the vehicle cannot be safely driven or when the owner of any damaged property cannot be contacted.

2.      What are my requirements in a crash if it does not require me to call police?

 Any driver of a vehicle involved in any traffic crash that involves damage to either attended or unattended vehicles or property shall stop immediately or as close to the scene as possible and shall forthwith return to and in every event shall remain at the scene of the crash until that driver has given required information and rendered any necessary aid.

In other words, every driver must remain at the scene of the crash until they have insured there are no injuries and until they have given the owner of any damaged property their name, address, information relating to financial responsibility (insurance) and the registration number of the vehicle being driven.

 3.      How can I get a copy of a police crash report?

 Official PENNDOT crash reports are only completed by the Fairview Township Police Department on crashes that involve injury, death or when the car cannot be driven safely from the scene of the crash.  A person can obtain a crash report one of two ways.  First, the Fairview Township Police Department has partnered with CARFAX.  This partnership means that crash reports from our department are now available on line at CRASHDOCS.ORG 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Second, you can obtain a copy of a crash report by stopping at The Fairview Township Police Department during normal business hours.  The department will release copies of PENNDOT crash reports to specified persons.  Persons eligible to obtain a crash report are any person involved in an accident and……

  1. An attorney or insurer for any person involved in an accident
  2. Commonwealth agencies
  3. Federal government
  4. Branches of the Military service
  5. Officials of political subdivisions
  6. Agencies of other states or nations and their political subdivisions.

Non-reportable crashes investigated by a member of the Fairview Township Police Department will be entered in to the department’s records system.  These incident/accident reports will be released in the same manner listed about. 

Payment method: Crash reports are available for a fee of $15.  If you utilize you may pay with a credit or debit card.  The police department accepts only cash, check or money order.  Checks and money orders should be made payable to the “Fairview Township Police Department”.

 If you would like to obtain a copy of a crash report,  you can go to at any time or you may call 717-901-5267 on Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.

 4.      My crash occurred in Fairview Township on Interstate 83.  Who investigated my traffic crash?

As a rule, any traffic crash or crime that occurs on Interstate 83 will be investigated by the Pennsylvania State Police.  On occasion, the Pennsylvania State Police may request our assistance in taking a crash report.  To inquire about or report a crash that occurred on Interstate 83, you should first contact the Pennsylvania State Police—Loganville at (717) 428-1011.