Vehicle Equipment FAQ

Is Window Tint Legal?

This is a tricky question, but generally NO.  If your vehicle did not come from the manufacturer with it (such as most SUV's), it generally is not legal to add later.  PennDOT's website has a fact sheet that spells out what typ and how dark is permitted.  All standard vehicle windows come tinted to 70%, which is what a "clear" window actually is.  Please note, all sedans, coupes, and convertibles cannot have any tint at all.  Also, a car dealer can sell a car with illegal tint on it, and it can pass inspection with illegal tint on it, but is illegal to drive it.  So, if in doubt, have an officer check it out.  PennDot Vehicle Window Tint Fact Sheet

Are there other exemptions for sun screening?

Certificates of exemption are available through PADOT for certain medical conditions which allow colorless sun screening and for vehicles registered and equipped with sun screening prior to September 9, 1984.

Can I add neon lights to my car?

No.  Well you can add them, but you can't drie with any ornamental lighting on the car that is on.  Ornamental is defined as any light that is not on the standards table for vehicle use (brakes, turn signals, etc.).  Undercar neon and illuminated valve stem caps/windshield washer ports/license plate covers are some examples of ornamental lights.

What is the law on colored headlights, or European blue style?

Just as in the previous question, only lights in conformance with the PA Motor Vehicle Code tables are allowed.  These tables list the color and location of all lights.  For headlights, they must be white only.  Wile some of the newer style lights that come on higher end vehicles may seem blue, they are actually a high frequency white.  Some of the aftermarket lights for sale are tinted blue, green or other colors.  These are not legal.

Can I put stickers on the window of my car?

Stickers are prohibited on all windows with the exception of the following stickers:  PA State Inspection; PA Emissions Inspection; Truck Weight Class; Out-of-state Inspection; Tax Stamps; Road Use Permits; government related permits; Delaware River Port Authority Bridge Travel Permit; manufacturer's suggested retail price sheet; parking sticker.  Parking stickers may only be on the rear side windows, rear wing window not more than 3.5 inches above the lowest exposed portion of the window.

What about my PA Turnpike E-Z Pass?

E-Z Pass devices are radio frequency transmitting devices, not stickers.  They may be mounted as directed by the PA Turnpike Commission directly behind the rear view mirror where they do not obstruct vision.  Instructions can be found at

Can I put wider tires on my car?

A tires tread can not extend beyond the outer edge of the wheel housing inclusive of fender flares.  Fender flares can not exceed 3 inches.

Can I put wider fenders on my vehicle?

Fenders must be the type and size used as original equipment.

Can I change the color of bulbs in my lights?

Most vehicles come equipped from the manufacturer with bulbs of the type and color which conform to PADOT regulations.  Alternation of the type or color of the bulb which does not conform to PADOT regulations is prohibited.

Can I use tinted or decorative head light or tail light covers?

No auxiliary equipment may be placed on, in or in front of a lamp.

Can I put off-road lighting on my roof or roll bar?

Off-road lamps may be mounted on the roof or roll bar of a vehicle and shall be covered with an opaque covering that prohibits any light from being emitted when the vehicle is being operated on a highway or traffic way.

May I take the doors off of my Jeep?

No.  Doors must be on a vehicle if originally fitted by the manufacturer."

*The preceding information was obtained from PA Code Title 67 and the PA Vehicle Code.  Regulations are subject to change and should be verified before altering or installing after-market equipment on your vehicle.  The preceding questions apply to passenger cars and light trucks having a registered gross weight of 11,000 pounds or less.

If you have additional questions about vehicle equipment you may contact us at 717-244-8055.