Qualification for becoming a police officer with the Hanover Borough Police Department are set by the Rules and Regulations of the Hanover Borough Civil Service Commission and by the Municipal Police Officer's Education and Training Commission (MPOETC)
CIVIL SERVICE REGULATIONS
SECTION 303. APPLICATION FOR EXAMINATION FOR APPOINTMENT. Each person desiring to apply for examination for appointment shall file with the Commission an application on the form provided by the Commission and supply such information as the Commission may require. The Commission may require an applicant to pay costs associated with certain testing requirements at the time of application.
The commission may, at its discretion, participate with other Police Departments, forming a Consortium to provide written and oral examinations. In order to be eligible for participation, every applicant must submit a completed application form in accordance with the rules of the consortium.
SECTION 304. QUALIFICATIONS OF APPLICANT FOR APPOINTMENT. Applicants for positions on the Police Department must have the following qualifications:
1. CITIZENSHIP. Must be a citizen of The United States of America.
2. RESIDENCE. Must reside at the time of application, or must agree to establish a residence within three (3) months after the date of appointment, within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and in The Borough of Hanover or in close proximity to The Borough of Hanover so as to effectively perform their duties and responsibilities. (Revised 2005)
3. AGE. Must be twenty-one (21) years of age or over at the date of filing applications.
4. PHYSICAL SIZE. The applicant’s weight must be in proportion to height as determined by the medical doctor designated by the Commission to conduct the medical examinations of applicants.
5. EDUCATIONAL. Must be a graduate of a high school or must have acquired an equivalency diploma.
6. CHARACTER. No person shall be appointed as a member of the Police Department if their personal history includes any of the following:
A. Convicted of a crime or offense punishable by more than one (1) year in prison. (Revised 2005)
B. Poor motor vehicle driving or accident record.
C. Poor credit history.
D. Poor work record.
E. Has summons outstanding against them.
All applicants must present separate references from three citizens of the United States who have known them for over one year, who are residents of the community in which they reside or have recently resided. Such references must be signed individually by them.
7. ELIGIBILITY FOR COMMONWEALTH OF PENNSYLVANIA POLICE CERTIFICATION. An applicant for the Police Department must meet all standards required by the M.P.O.E.T.C. in order to obtain certification as a police officer within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. (Revised 4-11-2007)
8. DRIVERS LICENSE. Applicants shall possess a valid motor vehicle operators license issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania at the time of appointment to the Police Department.