Celebrate Independence Day Safely

The Fairview Township Police Department wants to wish everybody a happy and safe Fourth of July. 

Your police department wants to remind everyone which fireworks they are now permitted to possess and use under Pennsylvania's fireworks law.  The law says that anybody 18 years of age and older are now permitted to purchase "Class C" (otherwise known as consumer grade) fireworks.  These include firecrackers, Roman Candles, bottle rockets and similar fireworks that contain a maximum of 50 milligrams of explosive material.  Only professionals with a permit from the municipality where the fireworks are to be displayed may use those products classified as "Display Fireworks" which include salutes that contain more than two grains or 130 milligrams of explosive material as well as professional-grade aerial shells containing more than 60 grams of pyrotechnic compositions.

The Fairview Township Police also urges residents to remember where these newly legalized fireworks may not be used. 

  • They may not be used on any public or private property without the permission of the property owner.  This includes any Fairview Township park.
  • They may not be discharged at or within a motor vehicle or building. 
  • They cannot be discharged within 150 feet of any occupied structure (this will prohibit fireworks from being set off in many neighborhood locations).
  • They cannot be discharged by any person who is under the influence of alcohol, a controlled substance or any other drug.

Anybody who would like to read the law for themselves may find the text of it at this link.  

Additionally, within Fairview Township residents are reminded to be considerate of your neighbors in the time and manner with which fireworks are discharged.  The police department will be enforcing the regulations on fireworks listed above as well as noise ordinance violations for fireworks being set off at an unreasonable hour.  Those who are not acting responsibly can expect a visit from the police department.

Residents should also be mindful that many pets, including horses and livestock are scared of fireworks and the loud noises they create.  There is always a spike in pets running away over the 4th of July holiday because they become startled by fireworks in the area.  For tips to keep your pets safe during this time of year, please see this link from the American Veterinary Medical Association.  If your pet does run away, notify the police department as soon as you can.  You may also check with the York County SPCA at 717-764-6109 during their business hours to see if your pet was picked up and turned over to them.

For some general safety tips for handling fireworks as well as some other popular summer time activities, we encourage you to visit this link from the American Red Cross.